At Howards, we know and understand organisation, so if you need to reconfigure your little person’s room into a teenager’s retreat, stay calm. We’ve got the necessary know-how to get you and your teen on your way.
First things first, get them involved. This room will become a reflection of who they are, so their input is essential. Remember teens are great at collecting and amassing ‘things’ and (maybe it’s due to their hectic school schedules) they can be pretty bad at picking up after themselves. Bedroom storage is key. Simple, practical solutions will help to cut the clutter and create calm amongst any potential teenage angst. Try these on for size:
- Laundry hamper – to keep clothes off the floor!
- Compactor compressible trunks – seasonal storage for bedding and clothing.
- Jewellery Tray – lost earrings needn’t be a problem.
- Over the Door Shoe Organiser – this home for shoes will keep them tucked away.
- Large Notice Board – for pictures of friends and school reminders.
- Storage and File Boxes – keep school items in order and easy to find.
If you can create a space that will evolve with them, they’ll have enough effective storage when they’re at home and they’ll be able to utilise these items when it’s time to move into shared accommodation. Consider it two-birds with one stone…
Get a Little Creative:
- When painting, if in doubt, go neutral! Have your teen choose inexpensive accessories to add colour and interest to their room.
- Invest in large artist canvases and then get creative with paints. It’s an easy way to bring personality and colour to a room.
- Use everyday objects as fabrics. Make pennants out of fabric they have chosen or cut out pieces from fabric’s you/they couldn’t bear to part with.
- Photos are a big part of a teenager’s life. Transfer some of their favourite images onto stretched canvas or create a photo wall.
We know organisation, you know your teenager and they know what they like. It’s a winning formula so get started today!
The Howards Simply Organised Insider Team.